Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What does it mean?

My friend, Kat, and I have been playing a lot of word games with each other lately. The question always comes up "What does that mean?". So I have decided to start writing down these words and looking up the meaning. Since I am at a loss of something to post today I thought that I would enlighten you with the meanings of some of these sed words. I got the definitions here.


neap
\Neap\, n. [Cf. Neb, Nape.] The tongue or pole of a cart or other vehicle drawn by two animals. [U.S.]
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
neap
\Neap\, a. [As. n[=e]pfl[=o]d neap flood; cf. hnipian to bend, incline.] Low.Neap tides, the lowest tides of the lunar month, which occur in the second and fourth quarters of the moon; -- opposed to spring tides.


pae·an also pe·an ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pn)n.
A song of joyful praise or exultation.
A fervent expression of joy or praise: “The art... was a paean to paganism” (Will Durant).
An ancient Greek hymn of thanksgiving or invocation, especially to Apollo.
[Latin paen, hymn of thanksgiving, often addressed to Apollo, from Greek pain, from Pai, a title of Apollo.]


sa·ri also sa·ree ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sär)n. pl. sa·ris, also sa·rees
An outer garment worn chiefly by women of India and Pakistan, consisting of a length of lightweight cloth with one end wrapped about the waist to form a skirt and the other draped over the shoulder or covering the head.


I won't overload your brains today with anymore new words. Lets try to use the word in a sentence today! Happy February 1st!

4 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Michael Lehet said...

I love this....when I was growing up and my uncle would visit, the first thing he would do is pull out the dictionary and teach me a new word. I used to love that. Then in second grade I used a word that my teacher was not familiar with, she asked me what it meant and I said "Well you should look it up in the dictionary." Needless to say, my Mom had to come pick me up from school that day and explain why I said what I said!

 
At February 01, 2006 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lern-ded sumthing todae

hehehe

 
At February 01, 2006 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I love words. Especially words I didn't know.

 
At February 03, 2006 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brain is rebelling. It doesn't want to learn any new words. :-P

Cassie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home