Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fishing

When my brother and I were kids my Grandpa would take us fishing. Sometimes it was a family event with Mom and Dad coming along but sometimes it was just the grandparents and grandkids. I always liked those. I didn't do much fishing then. Grandma and I would take off our shoes and soak our feet in the cold mountain river. I can still feel the water as it inches around first my toes then my foot and lastly my ankles. It was always so refreshing, still is. My brother and Grandpa would be the ones actually fishing, using corn and worms. They would go up stream a bit or go downstream from us to do their recreation. Grandma and I were generally in a sunny spot and in shallow water so we weren't hindering the men. When I did decide to stick my line in the water it was always with corn. I didn't mind picking up worms but I hated putting them on a hook. It was just yucky to me, besides I had talking I need to do, LOL! The fish didn't always bite but it never bothered anyone. When we wanted to actually catch something Grandpa would call his buddy and take us to his pond. The fish ALWAYS bit there...we didn't keep them of course..but it was so much fun reeling them in and letting my brother or Grandpa take them off !

I miss my youth at times. All of my grandparents have moved on to Heaven. I am happy for them and I know I will see them again someday. My Mom and Dad have taken over the roles of Grandma and Grandpa, although that isn't what they are called. I can see the look on my mini bubbles faces when they talk about Memaw and Pepaw. It is the same look my brother and I had not too long ago.

9 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Cute story. I love your stories.

 
At May 16, 2006 10:56 AM, Blogger chez bez said...

Wonderfully written. Thanks for taking me back to some of my own memories.

 
At May 16, 2006 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another great story!

 
At May 16, 2006 3:07 PM, Blogger GERBEN said...

Awww, what a great story.

 
At May 16, 2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love your stories too. You made me remember fishing with my own grandfather. Thank you for that. :)

 
At May 16, 2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I lost my last two living grandparents in 2005. My moms mom passed on December 19th and then my dads dad passed on December 31st. I really miss them but I am so blessed to have wonderful memories to carry me through til I see them again !

 
At May 17, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger SPK said...

I saw a billboard that rang true with me since I have two daughters:

"Take your daughters fishing and you will always have something in common."

 
At May 19, 2006 10:28 AM, Blogger Smurf said...

Yay! What fun memories! I loved to do that too. If the fishies were too little my daddy would throw them back. I remember one time that we went fishing and I saw them cut the heads off and then feed them to the kitties and then make the trout for dinner... I bit down on a bone and lost my appetite. My dad tried to make me eat my dinner when I said I was no longer hungry. I started to gag and I have not been able to eat fish since then. I still have fun being near the water and LOVE sticking my feet in the water like you describe there! ;) I love to own fishies too. This is a very fun post!

I think "bubbles" fits you well since you are so much fun! :)

 
At May 21, 2006 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brothers are both great fishermen, they travel all over North and South America to fish. I never acquired the taste for it somehow. I tried taking my kids fishing when they were little, but it was a bust. They must have inherited their fathers genes in that respect, rather than their mom's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home