Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Money money money!

When I was a kid the best day of the week was Friday. It was the end of a work week and every other Friday was payday for my dad. He would come home and the radio would be blastin' some oldie but goodie song. He always managed to find For the love of money by The O'Jay's on pay day. Those were the best. More times than not he and Mom had planned something a little different for that weekend, starting with ordering pizza that night. Dad would get out of his truck and dance and sing all the way into his room in the back of the house. By the time he was changed out of work clothes, my brother and I would be buzzing around excited and not knowing why. Mom would roll her eyes and throw her hands into the air knowing she had been defeated in keeping the peace.

To this day whenever I come across this song it brings a smile to my face and a stir of excitement. I am a kid again. Where pizza being ordered on Friday and Dad singing is fun. Where my brother and I are playing outside in the woods, not worrying about anything but avoiding the poison ivy and watching out for snakes(never did run across any). When things seemed so much simpler and easy. No worries, no bills, no major problems. Simple, easy living. Exploration, wonderment, fascination of life. Yes those were the days. I see the same look in my boys eyes from time to time and I love it. I just hope that it is a lasting feeling for them as it has been for me.

8 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Kat said...

You should get your brother to write up one of these memories from his point of view. It would be interesting to see you through his eyes.

 
At February 28, 2006 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great memory. It's fun to be taken back like that, with a song, or a scent, or something. Very nice.

 
At February 28, 2006 4:00 PM, Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

I just love your stories thanks for sharing!

 
At February 28, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I always wish the same for my kids . The only difference in my family was that my dad was paid every friday and we would eat out that night but no other . I still remember some of the good times we had on fridays when we would go eat then go to the movies or take a small trip the next day !

 
At February 28, 2006 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with truckdriver..I love hearing your memories as a child.
I hope my children have memories like this that I've given to them.

 
At March 01, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just stumbled on you from truckdriver's site.

I enjoyed this post and it does make the heart long for a time when there weren't so many responsibilities that we deal with as adults.

Cheers!

 
At March 01, 2006 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wondeful memory! *smiling*

 
At March 02, 2006 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half Nekked Thursday. Who ever thought up such a thing? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home