Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Easter Sunday

I thought that I would please you all today by telling another childhood story of mine. If you ever wanna here something feel free to ask questions and I'll see what I can come up with that relates to me and my childhood. These stories, by the way, are very real. As real as my memory remembers....hmmm...LOL! Ok, so in the spirit of Easter this is when my memory takes up residence today.

As a kid Easter meant several different things. Of course the death and resurrection of Jesus, our Lord and Savior, was up at the very tippy top of the list. My parents made sure that my brother and I never forgot the true meanings of holidays in all the hustle and bustle that the corporate world placed on the events. This does not mean, however, that we didn't dress up for Halloween, or Santa evaded or house, the Tooth Fairy did leave her mark(even though a day late for my brother a time or two), and yes.....even the Easter Bunny came and left us a basket full of goodies. We were kids and raised in a church home but we knew how to have fun.

Dad always had Good Friday off. That is when we would plant our garden, weather willing. We would get up early and eat a big breakfast and then head outside for the day. I didn't mind helping, but usually I was on tasks to fetch things. I didn't really like playing in the dirt ALL day. I know how to plant a garden and tend to it and cook everything that is in it...even can some of it...I am a quick learner but I prefer the flowers. Generally the day would finish with us piling into the truck and heading out to town for a burger and then a milk shake from a local shop in town. Dairy Queen, Steak and Shake, and A&W, can't hold a candle to the Dairy Barn's peanut butter shake. Where were we....the thought of the milk shakes get me distracted. Ah yes...Good Friday. By the way does anyone know why it is called Good Friday? If so please let me in on the information.

Saturday didn't really consist of anything real monumental other than the coloring of the Easter eggs. For some reason we never started early. It was always right before bed. Mom would boil the eggs and take out a dozen for my brother and I to color...the other dozen was made into deviled eggs for lunch the next day, that is if it was Mom's turn to host the dinner. So there my brother and I are coloring eggs and we would always(still do) save one for Dad to color....it was the prize egg for the hunt the next day. As we got older my brother would start to give Dad a run for his money, but I, being Daddy's girl, insisted that Dad's was the prize. My boyfriend, now Mr. Bubbles, even participated...his are generally plaid...I don't know how. If you are sitting there doing math yes we colored eggs through high school...and yes we still had egg hunts! I have never NOT colored eggs the day before Easter.

Sunday we would get up and go into the breakfast room where the Easter Bunny left our baskets. We never had time to partake in many of the goodies because we had to start getting ready for church. We always had a new frock to put on and new shoes...the works.After a few pictures are snapped it is off to church, sometimes we got to wait to take the pictures after church. After church it was back to the house to change and start the wait for the egg hunt. Mom and Grandma would alternate years on who did Easter Sunday lunch, however they both fixed the same thing. Pork loin roast, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, rolls, deviled eggs, and for dessert a coconut cake. I don't like coconut so they would always ice a corner with very little to no coconut just for me. On the years that the dinner was at Grandma and Grandpa's house we would change clothes grab our baskets and eggs and head to their house in the mountains. We would arrive and immediately start begging Grandpa to hide the eggs, Dad would help too. My brother and I weren't allowed near the windows so we couldn't cheat. After the hunt and all the eggs were accounted for it was time to eat! By the way, the finder of the prize egg had bragging rights for the day. Immediately following dinner we all seemed to find a comfortable chair and nap.

That is where I will stop. Sometimes my memories are long and very detailed and sometimes they are not. I don't want you all on overload. Below is last years Easter Day picture of Mr. Bubbles, myself(heavier than I am now) and the two mini Bubbles.


7 Comments:

At April 11, 2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Excellent story! And, I believe it is called Good Friday because that is the day Jesus died for the sins of humanity. Which, I suppose, is a good thing.

 
At April 11, 2006 1:23 PM, Blogger Kat said...

lmao, mini bubbles!

I forgot what else I was going to say cuz that was so funny.

Happy Christmas Easter Bunny!

 
At April 11, 2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Oh! One thing I was going to say is you need to post a picture of you and Mr. Bubbles standing next to each other so everyone can see how ginormous he is!

And no wearing heels!

 
At April 11, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

Love the pic and your stories are soooooooooo awesome.by the way thanks for sharing the REAL meaning:-}

 
At April 11, 2006 3:57 PM, Blogger GERBEN said...

What a great story! And like Puffin, I'm getting a little hungry now.

 
At April 12, 2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Great story...I love peanut butter milkshakes too...and home-made peanut butter ice cream...and chocolate cake with peanut butter icing (my grandmother made the best).

Here's the definition of Good Friday:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm

I can't explain it because they're using words I don't understand like Church and Sabbath.

Great family portrait.

 
At April 13, 2006 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey darlin, long time no see. Hope your house is coming along nicely, I'm sure it is. Come see me sometime, it gets lonely over there in MSN.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home