Friday, March 17, 2006

Wee bit o Ireland!



This is the Blarney Castle in Cork, Ireland. Blarney Castle is one of Ireland's oldest and most historic castles, an ancient stronghold of the McCarthy's, Lords of Muskerry, and one of the strongest fortresses in Munster.
Blarney Castle is famous for its stone - The Stone of Eloquence - which is traditionally believed to have the power to bestow the gift of eloquence on all those who kiss it.

For Thanksgiving this year I hosted an Irish lass. I was so excited. She was a friend of my brother's and she didn't have anywhere to go during the break. My brother offered up my hospitality, God love him. I don't mind hosting things but we had just moved into our home a week earlier and it was my first attempt to cooking it all. I am a good cook, even if I do say so myself, but was nervous at the enormity of it all. The lass was impressed, as was the rest of my family. I loved listening to her talk. It was so neat. I have a quick ear and It was easy for me to tell what she was saying....her accent was thick. My mom and Dad and yes even brother(at times) was having difficulty understanding her. However I do believe my oldest son, whose name happens to be of Irish descent, also has a quick ear and also had no trouble picking up on her words. This is a picture of them....I think he had a wee crush on the lass! And yes before you ask...they do say wee....often! LOL! The other person in the picture is my brother. * a little side note...that empty corner back behind them is where my computer is now located. The basket of clothes are no longer there....remember I had JUST moved into my new home. This is located in our basement den....no the rest of the house does not have paneling.

I hope you all have good luck today and remember if you actually catch a leprechaun your good luck is supposed to last a whole year....I think.

Here is a joke that my husband brought home a while back and he thinks is so funny. TopCat also posted it on his site but I heard it first...LOL What is Irish and stays out all night? Patty O'Furniture! (bahdumbump*drums)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

6 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the link and Happy St Patrick's Day.
Great story by the way.
Tc

 
At March 17, 2006 4:34 PM, Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

Have a wonderful day and a better weekend!

 
At March 17, 2006 4:34 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I need to kiss the Blarney stone, I'm not always very eloquent.

 
At March 17, 2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

There is nothing cuter than that accent..I once worked with a man that was from Ireland and I loved to hear him talk to me...so adorable. I just practiced my fake accent..its not really so cute!

 
At March 18, 2006 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quick ear for accents is quite handy sometimes.

A very nice story.

Happy Day-After St. Paddy's! :)
(It can be lucky, too... lucky when you don't wake up with a hangover)

 
At March 21, 2006 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful castle! Makes me kindof excited about going to Germany. I can't wait to see stuff like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home