Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Gymnastics and onion rings

This memory moment is brought to you by Sonic and my mother.

When I was a middle schooler I took gymnastics. I loved it. I was good at it too. The flexibility and bouncing and jumping around was a lot of fun. I miss it. As I Freshman I tore my ACL and was never able to get back to where I was. The time and energy put into the rehab took away any time I had for extra curricular. By the time I was released physically I was scared to try again. Now I wish I had pushed myself and done it anyway....but oh the pain!

Ummm....OH! Yes, ok so I had to take the lessons in a nearby town because there wasn't anyone in my town that gave lessons that weren't booked. I believe, if memory serves me well, I went twice a week. The town was about 25-30 minutes away although with Mom driving it took a little longer. Those were the nights that Mom and I would bond. Now for a pre-teen girl this was a feat in and of itself. Bring on the back handsprings and aerials...but talk to Mom...ACK!!!!

Once a week we would eat out, just me and her(I know that isn't proper English). Sometimes we would leave early and eat light and then get a treat after practice. Sometimes we would go in somewhere and eat. But I think my favorite times were when we would stop at the Sonic and get a burger and share onion rings. I am not an onion eater because they give me headaches...even if they are cooked, always have. But I didn't care...I would break out the ibuprofen after the Sonic nights. I love the onion rings there. I don't really know why. We would sit in the car and talk about school, boys, friends, her memories, grandparents, just stuff.

What brought on this memory bubble? Mr. Bubbles called me yesterday at lunch and asked what I would like to have brought home to me from Sonic. A cheeseburger and onion rings! It always surprises him when I get onion rings because he knows about the headaches, but he has quit questioning it. They were so good too. Mmmmmm! Can you smell them?

5 Comments:

At March 15, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

Amber your stories are soooo cool! Thanks for sharing!

 
At March 15, 2006 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

somehow I imagined you as athletic like that.

I wonder if they use MSG on their rings.

tc

 
At March 15, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Kat said...

How do you know you favorite *ahem* position, but not that you once took gymnastics??

hehe

 
At March 15, 2006 10:02 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mmmm I love onion rings, but I have never had them from Sonic. SOunds like I am missing out!! lol

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

 
At March 16, 2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I love sonic...and I havent had onion rings from there in forever. I think thats what I want for lunch.

This was a great story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home